Fish Oil and Concussions
Dr. Lewis is a graduate from the US Military Academy at West Point. Following five years in Infantry Divisions in Korea and California, Dr. Lewis graduated from Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans. His postgraduate training was completed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, and the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research and he is board-certified in General Preventive Medicine and Public Health.
While serving over 31 years in the Army, Dr. Lewis ran the primary care and flight medicine clinics at the Pentagon, developed the Emerging Infections Surveillance program at the joint US-Thai Army research lab in Bangkok, and served as the Director of the Epidemiology Division at the Uniformed Services University School of Medicine in Bethesda.
Most recently, he has several years of experience developing programs for the military on the use of omega-3 fatty acids and traumatic brain injury and suicide prevention. Dr. Lewis has pioneered the clinical use of omega-3 fatty acids for the prevention, acute treatment, and rehabilitation of brain injuries from physical and psychological trauma to include traumatic brain injury and concussions, stroke, PTSD, and other conditions. His insights and pioneering work have impacted thousands of lives and he is passionate about continuing to find improved solutions to the age old problem of brain injury.
Dr. Lewis is the President of the Brain Health Education and Research Institute.
In this podcast you will learn:
1. Michael’s interest for studying head injuries and concussions.
2. How serious are concussions and should parents take precaution in letting their children play contact sports at such a young age.
3. Common treatment strategies for a head injury.
4. When Michael discovered that Fish Oil may be a potential treatment strategy for TBI/Concussions.
5. How Fish Oil is beneficial for treating a head injury.
6. Michael’s current Fish Oil protocol for Concussions.
7. Current science regarding Fish Oil and TBI/Concussion.
8. Current plans to study Fish Oil therapy in current or former players with concussions.
9. Different forms of Fish Oil such and whether one form is better than another.
10. Any other benefits for using Fish Oil for brain health.
11. Should Fish Oil be part of the current treatment protocol when an athlete suffers a concussion.
12. Other nutrients that may have a benefit in treating a concussion.
Links and Resources Mentioned in the Episode:
Other Related Resources
- Decrease Inflammation and Enhance Immunity for the Athlete: Podcast
- The Omega 3 Protocol for Concussions and Brain Health: On-Demand Webinar
- Meal Plan Guides for Athletes: Calculate your Calorie Needs
- Decrease Inflammation and Enhance Immunity for the Athlete: eBook
- Omega 3 and Athletic Performance: Podcast